Case study: BlueSpot Knee Clinic Jingle
At the start of the Summer my colleague, James Taylor, casually mentioned that his knee surgeon, Shameem Sampath, was looking to create a radio jingle for his BlueSpot Knee Clinic in Lancashire, England. At that time he was going down the route of a re-record of The Chordettes classic Mr Sandman, sung on occasions at the surgery by staff, as a play on Shameem’s name. Licensing this song, however, was expensive and complicated as it was already being used by Wonga for their radio campaign.
I suggested a bespoke jingle would be a more flexible and enduring way and in the hands of the right composer (i.e. me) he could have an original music asset to add the emotional dimension to his brand that music provides. I had worked with vintage girl group, the Swinging Sweethearts, on their first single and was able to draw on the vocalists to create the jingle.
The five point plan worked liked this.
- In consultation with Shameem, James and I established a set of key words for the jingle and jammed around these at the piano and vibraphone.
- I recorded a demo with West End actor, Amelia Cormack which was played to Shameem on a visit to London.
- With some adjustments to the tempo and arrangements, the vibraphone, played by James Taylor, was recorded and Amelia returned with West End actors Brenda Moore-Wait and Katy Shorten.
- Voice-over artist, Amanda Alexander added the ‘call to action’ Text Knee to 84433!
- An extended version of the jingle was also recorded and will be available on iTunes in October.
- Film-maker, Melanie Melherbe filmed a video of the single with choreographer Kirsty Davide with 3 different girls, due to availability.
- The jingle airs on SmoothRadio in the Manchester region from October 7th.
For a company like BlueSpot to approach a composer and film-maker and work on a commercial campaign is rare. But, cutting out the ad agency makes a more creative experience for the client and is a prudent move. Communication and clarity of purpose kept everyone in the loop and it was one of the most enjoyable jobs I have worked on.
For news of the single and video release follow me on Facebook.
BlueSpot Knee Clinic jingle starts on @Smoothradio next week. See my blog post for the story. #fixmyknee
The final weekend of the New River Cantata project. Recording at the famous Angel Studios in Islington and performing live in Finsbury Park at the Hidden River Festival. It was an amazing weekend - the download will be available on iTunes with profits going to WaterAid at the end of October.
Loved working with @TheUrbanState and @Portiaemare today - we make a great team!
The New River Cantata is a community choir project I created to celebrate the 400th anniversary of London’s New River, constructed to bring fresh water from Hertfordshire to London in 1613. It still supplies 18% of our drinking water! Funded by Arts Council England, supported by Haringey Council, in aid of Water Aid. Many thanks to all participants.
I have been commissioned by Arts Council England to write a cantata to celebrate the 400th year of the New River. Opened in 1613 to bring fresh water from Hertfordshire to London, the waterway still provides of 18% London’s drinking water!
Haringey Council supports the project and rehearsals start on August 13th at the Redmond Community Centre, 5 minutes walk from Manor House tube station and over looking the New River and the West Reservoir
The work will be performed at the Hidden River Festival on September 22nd in Finsbury Park. A film of the project will be made alongside a recording at the prestigious Angel Studios in Islington on September 21st.
The proceeds from a download of the work will go to Water Aid, a charity that transforms lives through safe water, hygiene and sanitation.
If you would like to sing in the choir the benefits are:
- 6 rehearsals, starting Tuesday, August 13, 7-8.30pm in N4 1T
- Including 2 workshops with the UK’s top choir leader, Gitika Partington
- Experience recording the work at Angel Studios, one of London’s best
- Perform the work live at the Hidden River Festival in Finsbury Park
- Contribute towards Water Aid with this community spirited event
- Be part of a film that accompanies the project and share with your friends
Thank you Catherine Phelps for the design.
The choir is now over 90 strong if you would like to be added to the waiting list I will let you know if someone drops out. Be determined! Thank you for the incredible support! Watch this space!
Join me in Hoxton next Wednesday 3rd July, for this informal discussion of all things musical, with emphasis on the different types of collaboration that permeate its world and the method by which musicians develop their work. More info here:https://www.facebook.com/events/217302335084343/
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." Chopin (at Royal Festival Hall)
Pink talks about her writing process on Just Give Me A Reason. I think it’s a beautiful song.